Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Soul Grinder notes

I really wish I had documented how I built the two Soul Grinders that I did a while back. One of the particular details was how the base bodies were done.

I went through the trouble of using rare earth magnets at the waist to allow both models to be easily transported. Was kind of tricky, the main thing to keep in mind is what polarities each stack of magnets had. I think I used about four or five on both sections (3/8" diameter, 1/8" thk.) The upper torso had to use some paitence with since I had to use a lot of green stuff to fill it in and keep the magnets in place till it harden.

The lower body is a big concern since it will carry all of the model's weight, and also if the legs are not set right it can be very unstable on the table. The first thing to do is to place your magnets right under the torso base, and glue both halves together. Once dried, before putting in the last "door" at the end of the body, fill it up with either lead filings or sand to make the lower body have a decent amount of weight to give it some balance from the upper body. It does not hurt to use some gap filling glue to seep in and hold the loose material a little better.
Then once that has settled and dried, you can arrange all of the legs and your upper body much easier for a more stable model.

1 comment: